So the weathers been dark and dull, and whilst my life is good I felt like I needed some zing. Although I’ve learned that the colour for the month was pale Lilac with a focus on water. I couldn’t really incorporate that into my baking so I decided to share my lemon tarte with you. The colour is warming and uplifting and the lemon is refreshing and energising.
I was originally going to create a recipe for cookies but after posting a picture of my lemon tarte on Facebook so many people wanted to know the recipe that I accepted (that was the word of the week, after all) that cookies weren’t going to cut it!
It contains chestnut flour, almonds, and lots of eggs so good if you are on a high protein low carb diet. It’s also super easy to make.
Lemon and Almond Tarte
Chestnut flour pastry:
- 368g chestnut flour (if you can’t find chestnut flour you could try an alternative gluten free flour)
- 142g dairy free spread
- 28g xylitol
- Mix the Xylitol and flour and blend with dairy free spread in a food processor or rub together by hand until you have a crumb like consistency.
- Spoon by spoon add the water until the dough is slightly sticky and you can press together into a ball.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Remove top piece of paper and drop pastry down into a greased/ flour dusted 12 inch round tin.
- Place in the oven at 175 degrees and blind bake for approximately 10-15 minutes
- 4 x lemons (organic, zest and juice)
- 155g xylitol
- 5 eggs
- 220g almonds
- Whisk the eggs together until frothy
- Add the lemon, xylitol and almonds and whisk again until smooth
- Pour into the base and bake at 175 degrees for 30 minutes or until the middle becomes firm to touch.
- Option: skip the pastry and pour into ramekins and bake. A simple pot of delicious lemony protein.
Enjoy with your favorite people…