Desire fills us with creative fuel, but determination is where the rubber meets the road… even when the road is not visible.
Clutching the steering wheel more tightly as I notice a string of cars in pile-up after pile-up on the major interstate. Can these people not drive? I used to wonder with my East Coast sense of driving superiority. But soon thereafter, my car slid across the lane and my brakes failed to grip at the stoplight, and I realized I wasn’t in Kansas anymore…or Boston for that matter. Rain in Vegas is as treacherous as ice in Boston.
For most of us, rain doesn’t stop us from venturing out. We adjust. We buffer in more time and become extra vigilant. Not paralyzed and stuck, but alert and focused. There’s a big difference. Determination gives us the strength to see past obstacles, rather than getting swallowed up in them. Determination sees poor road conditions as part of the journey and opportunities…opportunities to maneuver more expertly, to become more flexible, to gain valuable experience…to increase our willPower.
Determination is knowing why you are doing something. It is clear, decisive, inspired, honest action. With determination, we understand that the goal is not to stop change, it is to invite change…change within ourselves.
Therefore, this week’s practice accelerates change and strengthens our willPower from head to toe…from inspired heart of self to inspiring heart of another.
- Determine how you want to feel and let those desired feeling(s) guide your decisions throughout the day. If you want to feel loved, make loving decisions. If you want to feel accomplished, make decisions aligned with accomplishing.
- Determine your response to various scenarios. Anticipate conflict and determine how you will respond without sacrificing your dignity or self-worth. We can’t predict everything, but there is no reason to be blind-sided either.
- Determine key milestones or minimum thresholds to reach goals in the important areas of your life (e.g. your New Year resolutions, professional development, fitness goals, personal aspirations), What do you want to accomplish…really?
- Determine why it is so important to you? Is self-love and personal passion fueling your determination…or is something else?
- Determine your compensation for meeting your goals. Yes, “pay” yourself as you would reward a star performer that works for you. Determine your compensation before setting out.
- Determine what you are not going to do. Put your stake in the ground. I gave up my Thursday night class because it was too late for Desiree…and me…and my precious evening downtime.
- Determine your self-investment plan. Just like a company needs to invest in PP&E for future growth so do we. Sign up for that class, hire a trainer, learn a new language.
- Determine rest and downtime. Literally, factor it in. Schedule it. Otherwise, you’ll force it through sickness or injury.
- Determine what you are going to give up. Sometimes you can’t have what is in front of you if you’re not willing to let go of what’s behind you.
- Determine your destiny. Free will is a beautiful thing. Don’t forget to activate it with your determination.
We don’t have forever
Baby daylight’s wasting
You better kiss me
Before our time is run out
Nobody sees what we see
They’re just hopelessly gazing
Baby take me
Before they turn the lights out
Before time is run out
Baby love me lights out
~ XO by Beyonce Knowles (part of the fitness tracklist this week!)
Do you want to explore DETERMINATION further? Click here for quotes, mantras and our willPower dedicated weekly exercise!