Our shoulders tense up, our eyes well up, our stomachs turn in knots, our throats tighten, our fists clench, our hearts pound, we shiver from the chill of…voices rising, laughter erupting, sobs releasing. We hide them, succumb to them, react to them, try to out-think them, stomp around because of them…but, we cannot survive without them. So, we decide to thrive when we befriend them.
We reveal our inner world…our vulnerability…to the outer world when we share a moment through our eyes, our touch, our voice…and express our emotion.
Emotions comprise our personal navigation system…the source of our greatest intelligence…our inner intelligence and the connection to our higher self. Do you ever “feel” before you even “know” why or how or what for? Yes, we often know intuitively before we know cognitively. Our emotions are a barometer for how we’re doing…right now. They issue warnings, affirmations, encouragement, and directions…where to go next. What needs healing. What needs contemplation. What needs feeling.
Emotions can overwhelm us and they can also entice us into suffering along with others. But, compassion does not entail suffering. Remember that. We lift and help others the most when we open our hearts without losing our center. Getting carried away by the same storm doubles the casualties. Instead, reach out a helping hand while standing on solid ground…centered within your heart space.
To stand strongly in emotion, you need to activate the willPower from your heart center.
- Strengthen the core of who you are (love) via heart-to-heart plank.
- To practice, line up the heart you have created on the floor with the heart in your body.
- Dedicate your plank practice to something you love about yourself or something you wish to express more fully this week.
- Advanced options: single leg lift, tricep push-up…leg lift + push-up
- Open your heart through yoga “heart openers”.
- Try Camel Pose. The camel is a strong animal, representing the ability to accomplish the impossible and to go through life’s challenges with ease. If you feel disconnected from the world, your family, or certain relationships, or are struggling with forgiveness, practice camel pose to help you express your feelings and find compassion towards others.
- To enhance the exercise, think of something that no longer serves you – whether it’s a thought pattern, habit, relationship, or situation in your life. As you anchor down through your lower body, lift up through your upper body, and let go of the fear that backward bending can hold. Release it, all of it. Let it go. Never to return.
- Eat “green” to balance your heart chakra.
- Why? A healthy heart chakra vibrates at a frequency similar to the color green.
- Think outside the lettuce mix with avocados, limes, soybeans, green tea, basil, parsley.
- Vegetables provide the heart what it needs to be grounded and yet expansive and loving. Especially effective are cruciferous veggies, such as broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
- Pour passion into whatever you do this week.
- Extend your arm a little more fully when you reach…or your eye contact when you articulate your opinion.
- Don’t go through the motion. Be the motion. I know it’s vague, but I want you to figure out what that motion is in your life.
- Tune in your heart strings by dancing, singing, or listening to music that touches your heart. On my heart string playlist this week:
- The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez
- Express Yourself by Madonna
- Sugar by Maroon 5
- Love Me Harder by Ariana Grande
- Strengthen your heart muscle with blood-pumping cardio.
- Get creative. Cardio need not be the treadmill…
- Realize dance cardio reaps similar mental benefits as meditation.
- Allow your heart to soar with the night.
Let yourself get carried away by the night from time to time. Look up at the stars and try to get drunk on the sense of infinity. The night, with all its charms, is also a path to enlightenment.” ~Paulo Coelho
- Buy (or accept…hint!) the gift of lingerie.
- Allow it to symbolize your birthright to feel sexy, beautiful…and worthy of your desires.
- Find a store that honors your body and fits your personal style.
- Carve out the private space of intimacy where only one other sees you and knows this side of your beauty.
- Color coordinate with the heart.
- Rock the red mani/pedi
- Decorate with pink roses
- Enjoy the “midori” (greenery)
- Warm your body.
- Hot stone massage therapy
- Licorice tea
- Bubble bath…with scented candles and glass of wine (optional, but highly recommended!)