Once my blog goes live on Monday, I always look up the following week’s Word of the Week with curiosity, some anticipation, and…a bit of trepidation. Although the words are marinated in positivity, they elicit our willPower from life’s soup du jour. There are always lessons to learn and ways to evolve. So, let’s just say when I saw the word, TRUTH, it rose higher on the trepidation chart than most.
“Truth” appears to be black and white when paired with “False”. But, truth isn’t a law when it comes to ourselves. It’s subjective, personal, and occasionally neurotic. What’s my truth today need not be your truth, nor need it be my truth last year. Truth comes from a place of experience, as a lesson learned perhaps, or as an insight that leads to a revelation.
TRUTH finds us in our throat chakra. It affects how we communicate whether that’s speaking, screaming, singing, or whispering into the night.
TRUTH is a knowing inside us. We feel neither discord nor decay when we honor our truth. But, given that it’s “ours”, and most of us live in a world requiring us to abide and harmonize with others, we seek a higher power in how we honor it. There’s a discernment in our wisdom to not utter every truth we see, think, or feel. To not tell so-in-so what she should with such-in-such is not willPower-ful if it doesn’t meet a few criteria:
Before you speak, ask yourself is it kind, is it necessary, is it true…and does it improve upon the silence?” ~Sai Baba
On that note, I shall be silent for the rest of the week!
But, let me keep writing…because I have something to say that comes from a place of love and recent experience. I want to unlock the secrets many of us carry around as we traverse the slippery slope of muting our truth and honoring it in a willPowerful way.
These last few days, I’ve given up on TRUTH or, at least, my insistence on upholding it. When another’s mind is being compromised, you realize quickly that you cannot rationalize, assuage, or prove the truth. You may have to succumb to the “truth” that your loved one is experiencing and the fact that he is hurting in a way that you just can’t explain or “truth” away. He is convinced of things that are absurd, but there is no fighting it. In these situations, the strongest thing you can do is nod your head. Nod your head not to relinquish your truth, but to honor his. This is his truth, not yours. He can’t see clearly, which is neither his fault nor yours. Stand in your truth silently, and know that your values are not threatened despite this. Your truths can stand apart. Your personal truth is there for you whenever you need it.
TRUTH is not absolute. It’s guidance, it’s supporting evidence, it’s deeply personal…and it’s diplomatic. As diplomats of truth, we strive to possess tact, sensitivity, and…improving upon the silence.
TRUTH need not endure the test of time…or test of another, but it does require a healthy outlet. We find this in the throat chakra. Here are some great exercises…physical, mental, and emotional…to keep the throat chakra open and clear…especially when you have to relinquish your truth in certain settings.
- Journal… your negative thoughts, grievances, and fears…and then burn them. Match, flame, torch, or shredder. Rituals are effective, just be careful with fire!
- Chant, sing, or…hum. When I was pregnant, I hummed all the time. People would say to sing lullabies or read to the baby growing inside, but my TRUTH led me to hum. Pregnant or not, humming has many health and energetic benefits such as calming the nervous system, lowering blood pressure, clearing away unproductive thoughts, and increasing happiness.
- Practice push-pull, camel pose, or backbends… to open the throat chakra and stretch your neck. For those with lower back issues, start with half camel or modified camel (hands at lower back) and work on strengthening your back in bridge pose.
- Before you drift off to sleep or first thing in the morning… gently place your hand on the area of your neck where your neck meets the collarbone. Breathe into it slowly and visualize the color blue.
- Notice the tone of your voice and… how it changes when you are not speaking your TRUTH out of fear, intimidation, or…discernment.
- Make full eye contact to…listen for the TRUTH in another. The eyes are the window to the soul and reveal beyond what is said with the emotional intent behind the words.
- Go for sushi and…order rolls wrapped with nori (seaweed) and miso soup. Sea plants supply iodine and other minerals for our thyroid gland, which helps us metabolize our food properly and feel in balance with our body weight. Our throat chakra is intimately tied to the thyroid gland so foods that nourish our thyroid will also balance our throat chakra. Eating soup opens up the throat chakra and creates more ease in eating. With miso soup, we get the bonus of seaweed included…TRUTH!
Inhale your TRUTH (arms overhead, palms together)…Know your TRUTH (draw thumbs to forehead)…Speak your TRUTH (thumbs over mouth)…Feel your TRUTH (thumbs over heart).