Our Word of the Week is a word of action, vulnerability, attention, and intention. When we REACH, we take action…and, when we take action, we make ourselves vulnerable to risk, criticism, falling, rejection, and so forth. We draw attention to our intention. However, sometimes…oftentimes… we REACH by default, out of habit, in self-denial, or from a place of fear. This week’s Seven Steps help us shift more and more of our REACH moments into the deliberately creative, positive, and life-serving.
1. Take stock of all the things you tangibly REACH for on a daily basis. Without judging yourself for these various REACH decisions, contemplate them through the lens of willPower. Which REACH decisions are serving you and which would be better to discard?
2. Now, look at the thoughts you REACH for. Although more abstract, thoughts highly correlate with #1! By noticing your chain of thoughts, you build awareness and introduce a meaningful pause to select your REACH moments and break the conditioned “software of the soul“:
Memory –> Desire –> Action –> Experience (Karma) –> Memory –> Desire –> Action –> Experience (Karma)
3. Contemplate the area(s) of your life where you’d like to extend your REACH. Are you not getting to the things or dedicating enough time to the activities that light you up?
4. Now, pinpoint any areas where you’d like to withdraw or shorten your REACH. Remember always: this is your life, YOUR life, your LIFE!
5. Think about your “audience” and how you can better REACH them. Whether your audience is a client base, a room full of strangers, your loved ones, or a puppy, how effective is your communicative REACH? Are you connecting heart-to-heart, nose-to-nose…or jab-to-jab?!
6. Infuse more grace into your REACH. Clamoring to make a point, elbowing your way to the front of the line, or burning bridges along the way, will ultimately take away from the fruits of your REACH. Grace is refined movement and refinement of any sort comes from practice and a certain softness. See how any element of grace will enhance the beauty and experience of your REACH.
7. REACH for the stars. Perhaps the most famous “reach” idiom in the English language, Reach for the stars is a good way to culminate our Seven Steps. This phrase reminds us of the unlimited potential and power inherent in our REACH — especially when we take the “return trip” within…
When you reach for the stars, you are reaching for the farthest thing out there. When you reach deep into yourself, it is the same thing, but in the opposite direction. If you reach in both directions, you will have spanned the universe.” ~Vera Nazarian