I love this week’s word because we get to discuss the “why”. For me, the “why” is the real differentiator… “why” are we doing this activity / exercise / thought pattern? What, indeed, is the “purpose”? Ideally, these are the questions you ask yourself as you figure out, build awareness, and get clear on what you want and how to get there.
The word, PURPOSE, is an all-important one when we delve into anything. As a fitness studio owner, I think a lot about “purpose” as it relates to exercise and nutrition..and my client’s safety. For example, there is no purpose for your knee to hit the floor when you’re doing walking lunges. There is no purpose in strength-training if you haven’t consumed any protein within the past three hours. On the other hand, there is a ton of purpose when you create a soft landing in willPower. There is always a purpose in how your knee always tracks over your toes. Purpose in keeping your butt down in plank practice. So,our Seven Steps to Purpose are deliberate…deliberately tough…and deliberately effective.
- Know or demand to know the purpose of the exercise. If something seems unsafe, question the kinesiology behind it. Always.
- Create purpose behind your meals. For example, when you’re just awakening, protein and carbs are critical. Feed your muscles (protein) while you fuel your day (carbs).
- Be purposeful in your interactions. Do you spend your day putting out fires or planting seeds? As a result, how is your harvest?
- Practice plank in a circle… a circle of your friends. Notice how “chatting” helps you stay longer, noting the “purpose” IS always to stay in plank longer!
- Plan your workouts with purpose. Are you going haphazardly around the gym as to which piece of equipment is free, or is there a plan (purpose) to your workout “curriculum”?
- Does your class fit your purpose? For example, if your goal is to lift your derriere, are you spending too much time doing cardio, yoga, or barre? #probably
- Get clear on your purpose…most people will say their goal is to lose 5, 10, 15…50 lbs, but, what they really want and desire is to change their physique for which the scale is not serving them well.