Have you ever walked into a room, a class, an event, a meeting, an interview…a situation where you thought, “What am I doing here?” “Who do I think I am?” “I don’t belong here.” “I’m not ready for this.”?
Congratulations, you are human…and, quite likely, female.
In the ’70s, Psychologists Clance and Imes coined this phenomenon the Imposter Syndrome. Not a true mental disorder, but a quality that appears when we do not properly see our accomplishments or talents, and have a persistent fear of being exposed as a fraud. It is an extreme form of self-doubt. When it hits, you feel tempted to run, cower, or, in some other way, escape what you have signed up for. Self-doubt plagues all of us at some point or another. With POWER, though, we have a mechanism to overcome “it”.
Let’s talk about it. “It” is the opting out. “It” is the giving in to the voice that says we’re underqualified, unqualified, or simply “not enough” –whether that’s not smart enough, not pretty enough, not strong enough, not thin enough, not prepared enough…we question our abilities and our worthiness to be there.
At this juncture, we have a choice. The ultimate choice is in our response. Do we firmly shake our head to self-doubt and proceed, or do we nod yes in self-defeat and retreat? We think staying still is “safer”. No risk of failure. No risk of being exposed. But, also, no risk of living life at its greatest…
If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” ~Paulo Coelho
We all possess an innate POWER to create worlds…or destroy worlds. Our world. This life. I love the question, “What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” Let’s start doing more of that. This week. It’s time to reclaim your POWER.
1. POWER stance. Stand in your POWER…your POWER comes from within. Striking a “power pose” before a meeting has been demonstrated to kick up a hormonal change in your body. A chemical shift that makes you feel more powerful. Your audience feels it, too. Most of our communication is non-verbal, so changing your stance can literally enhance your message and performance both internally and externally.
2. POWER suit. Suit up for the occasion. Notice how it affects your feeling of POWER. Colors associated with POWER are bold like red, yellow, and willPower black.
3. POWER feet. From the ground up. That’s how we strengthen in willPower class, and that’s how we strengthen in life. Firmly grounded frees our upper body to move. Feeling grounded enables our upper chakras to manifest creativity, intelligence, and spiritual insight.
4. POWER plank. To stay while shaking. To strengthen every muscle in the body. How powerful does “strong” make you feel? Symbolically connect your plank practice to an area of your life where you’d like to feel more POWERFul.
5. POWER voice. The voice behind your words. Notice when your voice loses its power around certain people, topics, settings. Get curious and take mental notes. What happened? Did you lose authenticity? Confidence? Control? Monitor your voice for indications of your POWER throughout the day.
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? … Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. … And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Marianne Williamson
Read more about It’s in the landing…POWER.