PRECISION often flies under the radar of the “sexier” words of willPower. Words like Strength, Confidence, Faith, Power, and so on elicit our greatest effort and inspire us to move out of our comfort zone.
PRECISION, on the other hand, is like that nit-picky first grade teacher who told you your t’s weren’t crossed well or your capital B’s lacked balance. PRECISION was your childhood ballet teacher (or current willPower Barre instructor…) who reminded you to point your toes! Without PRECISION, we would never achieve extraordinary results. PRECISION gives us the wherewithal to “work smarter, not harder”.
PRECISION is a precursor to accuracy. With accuracy, we can target better. Whether that’s targeting a muscle or a wide receiver’s hands, accuracy leads to fewer misses. Fewer misses leads to fewer disappointments and lower levels of frustration. Since disappointment and frustration are kryptonite to your willPower, we want to mitigate these wherever we can.
In the name of PRECISION, let’s find new ways to strengthen our willPower this week:
- Be PRECISE with your word. If getting it done by tomorrow is going to be difficult, say it is. Ask for the time you need to do the job well. Stop holding yourself to an impossible standard.
- Be PRECISE with your serving sizes. How many servings of cereal are truly in your bowl? Is that shake a protein shake? Or is it actually higher in grams of fat and/ or carbs?
- Be PRECISE with your EVOO. Avoid the imprecise “glub-glub” from the olive oil bottle, and spray instead.
- Be PRECISE with your teammates. In class, harmonize your movement. On a team of any sort, think about precision in the process and how everyone’s role contributes to the end result.
- Be PRECISE with your intensity. If you’re doing a set of 10, make sure it’s a weight that gets you to fatigue by rep 10…not rep 50.