Double chocolate, double almond cup cakes – yep – hold on to yourself for this one….
I’ve recently discovered almond flour. I’ve not bought it before as it’s very expensive and I tend to use ground almonds instead. But I thought it was one avenue I should try and with the word of the week being challenge it seemed fitting. My first creation was edible, but only with a cup of tea, as the cakes were a little dry. So I rose to the challenge and tried again and …2nd time lucky! Packed full of protein and good fats these indulgent cup cakes are a great post class sweet treat.
You will need:
225g dairy free spread
160g almond flour
65g gluten free self raising flour
1tsp gluten free baking powder
2 tbsp coco powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp almond butter
handful of sugar, dairy free choc chips or 100% choc buttons
8 tbsp coconut milk
1. Mix the xylitol and dairy free spread until smooth
2. Add the eggs one by one
3. Spoon in the almond butter, vanilla essence, coconut milk and mix once again
4. Mix the flours, coco powder and baking powder together in a separate bowl and add gradually to the wet mixture until you get a thick cake mixture.
5. Finally and the choc chips and make sure they are well distributed
6. Spoon in to cup cake cases (I used a dessert spoon)and bake in the middle of a pre heated oven at 175 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until baked.
This recipe makes approximately 18-20 cakes so you can share or pop them in the freezer when cooled as they freeze well.