A chronic lack of passion is the demise to many relationships and pursuits. When your passion lapses, so does your sense of purpose. This becomes the unfortunate juncture where dreams are forgotten and disenchantment sets in.
The words, “I don’t care”, inflict more inner turmoil than the suffering inherent in PASSION. Yes, suffering. There is no passion without suffering, but the suffering…when done willPower-fully…is worth the price of passion.
There is a gift in our suffering. This is not suffering for the sake of suffering. This is suffering for the sake of our dreams. For the sake of our joy…our purpose…and the quality of our living experience.
Passion keeps our willPower brimming. Without passion, we don’t put in the work because our heart’s not in it.
This week’s Seven Steps are designed to help you unravel the mystery of PASSION weaving throughout your life.
1. What are you willing to do and…NOT do? What enjoyable things or activities do you forego in the pursuit of your passions?
2. Contemplate your past passions as divinely ordained. Notice how they helped you grow or get over “stuff”.
3. Was it a lack of willPower or a lack of PASSION? As you think about any seeming willPower “fails”, consider your true passion. Often, we take on the dreams and desires of our ego or others. These are harder (impossible) to fuel with passion because our heart is not really in it.
Passion is one great force that unleashes creativity, because if you’re passionate about something, you’re more willing to take risks.” ~Yo-Yo Ma
4. Kids and puppies, too! When identifying your passions, be sure to include those involving sentient beings, such as children and pets. (Repeat #1-3 as needed!)
5. Today. Now, identify areas of your life today where your passion seems to be lacking. Although passion is expected to ebb and flow, often we hold onto relationships, jobs, and pursuits well beyond their expiration date.
6. Can’t motivate. Differentiate between an interest and a passion by your tolerance for “doing the work”. Note: this may include relationships! Explore without judgement. Narrow down the list to what truly excites you.
Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” ~Oprah Winfrey
7. Embody PASSION. Bring the energy of passion into your life this week. Buy yourself flowers, wear something sexy, paint your toes coral…or, better yet, have someone else paint them! Notice passion. Exhibit passion. Dress for passion. Work with passion. Move with passion. Speak with passion. Applaud it in others. And, above all, applaud it in yourself.
Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.” ~Martha Graham