At this time of year, many Americans are immersed in football (that’s American-style football!) where we are witnessing the Word of the Week in action: exhibitions of greatness mixed with a heavy dose of desire. This week’s word, DETERMINATION, takes root from an old French word, meaning decision. Accordingly, our word carries that connotation — once a decision has been made, willPower becomes easier…much MUCH easier. The challenge…er, opportunity, then is to adhere some DETERMINATION to our willPower.
This week, I encourage you to learn from the NFL players and take our Seven Steps to Determination…in a way that makes sense on the road to your symbolic “Superbowl”.
1. While everyone else is throwing in the towel or calling the game “over”, see different scenarios playing out…successful scenarios playing out.
2. Tune out the crowd or any loud distractions.
Change the channel. Go into another room. Put on your headphones.
3. Practice over and over. Be relentless yet intelligent. Be disciplined and consistent. Learn from your falls (fails). Fall (fail), get up. Repeat.
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.” ~Vince Lombardi
4. Dial it in physically, mentally, and emotionally. Forgo the jittery stimulants or short-term enhancers. Be more grounded via your nutrition, hydration, and rest.
Conditioning is a precursor to top performance.
5. Lose a “one play” mentality. See the bigger picture of the series, quarter, chapter, set, season…in the context of your career or aspiration.
Don’t get hung up on the last play. Prepare for the next one.
6. Use your body language to your competitive advantage.
Show ’em that you’re serious…elicit respect through your dedication, focus, and mental grit.
7. Determine your destiny by aligning your dreams and desires to higher thought and inspired action.
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.” ~Lou Holtz