DEPTH is something we all strive for. In our conversations, our careers, our relationships…in our lives. DEPTH can relate to a number of characteristics, such as intensity, fullness, completeness, and…who else is on our team. Yes, a “large number of good players” is one definition of DEPTH and, with the football season upon us, it’s fitting to contemplate our personal DEPTH in this way. Even as a solo act — entrepreneur, student, single parent, or other form of single operator, we all have a team that makes things happen. “It takes a village” is a truly accurate perception of DEPTH when you think of all the people you rely upon, hire, subcontract, or simply confide in.
When the star quarterback is out, all eyes turn to the backup and the DEPTH of the roster. When you’re out, who covers for you? Does your bench have sufficient DEPTH? There are two sides to this coin. One side is preventative…preventing you from being “out”. The other side is training your backups, delegating sufficiently, not being indispensable at your job per se, but being irreplaceable as human. For either side of this coin, we train for DEPTH.
…we get what we’re committed to at the deepest level.” ~Nancy Levin
This week, the assignment is to go deep:
1. LIST out your “team”…village…roster. Think broadly. Don’t forget your hairdresser and anyone and everyone who makes your life a little easier or brighter. Pets included!
2. Next, EVALUATE. Does the DEPTH of your roster surprise you? Are there obvious holes, pockets of poor performers, or Debbie Downers? Where is the Herbie (bottleneck)?
3. AVOID or cut short shallow conversations and uses of your time. Shallow is often more habitual than we realize.
4. RELEASE tightness. Tight hips prevent DEPTH in functional lunges, plies, and squats. Practice plank switches with the intention to release tension and get deeper into the hips.
5. Speaking of PLANK…use DEPTH of reason to add 30 seconds to your current base time. In other words, connect your plank goal with a life goal. With deeper meaning behind the practice, watch how your staying power and resolve deepen as well.